Privacy and Website Cookies Policy
We want everyone who supports us to feel confident and comfortable with how any personal information you share with us will be looked after or used. This policy sets out how we collect, use and store your personal information (this means any information that identifies or could identify you).
We are a ‘data controller’ for the purposes of the Data Protection Act 1998 and (from 25 May 2018) the EU General Data Protection Regulation 2016/679 (‘Data Protection Law’). This means that we are responsible for, and control the processing of, your personal information.
How we collect information about you
We want to make sure you receive the communications that are most relevant to you, be it through visiting our website or receiving emails, post or phone calls.
We collect information from you in the following ways:
- When you interact with us directly:This could be if you ask us about our activities, make a donation to us, ask a question about our work, purchase something, apply for a volunteering opportunity or otherwise provide us with your personal information.
- When you interact with us through third parties:This could be if you provide a donation through a third party such as localgiving.com and provide your consent for your personal information to be shared with us.
- From other information that is available to the public:In order to tailor our communications with you we may collect information about you from publicly available sources.
The information we collect and why we use it
Personal information we collect includes details such as your name, email address, postal address, telephone number, as well as information you provide in any communications between us. You will have given us this information whilst making an enquiry, making a donation, or registering for an event.
We will mainly use this information:
- To process your donations or other payments, to claim Gift Aid on your donations and verify any financial transactions.
- To keep a record of your relationship with us.
- Where you volunteer with us, to administer the volunteering arrangement.
- To contact you about our work.
- For the purposes of dealing with your enquiry, or evaluating the services we provide.
We will not pass on your details to anyone else without your express permission. Where you have given us your express consent or otherwise clearly indicated to us (for example, by participation in our ‘York Remembers Rowntree’ Oral History project) we may use that data for further purposes in related project work and within the remit of the permission you have given.
Sharing your Information
The personal information we collect about you will mainly be used by our staff (and volunteers) who process this information under supervision and with appropriate safeguards.
We will never sell or share your personal information with organisations so that they can contact you for any marketing activities. Nor do we sell any information about your web browsing activity.
You can update your choices or stop us sending you these communications at any time by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org.
Keeping your information safe
We take looking after your information very seriously. We’ve implemented appropriate physical, technical and organisational measures to protect the personal information we have under our control, both on and off-line, from improper access, use, alteration, destruction and loss.
Our website may contain links to other sites. While we try to link only to sites that share our high standards and respect for privacy, we are not responsible for the content or the privacy practices employed by other sites.
How long we hold your information for
We only keep it as long as is reasonable and necessary for the relevant activity, which may be to fulfil statutory obligations (for example, the collection of Gift Aid). When we no longer require to hold your information we will ensure that it is disposed of securely, e.g. by shredding paper records and deleting digital records.
You have various rights in respect of the personal information we hold about you; please contact email@example.com if you wish to know more.