An Edwardian house in Hutton-le-Hole on the North Yorkshire moors. Built by Leeds Quakers William and Anne Marie Harvey it was opened as a holiday centre for religious and educational groups in 1947 and is today a self-catering country house. During the First World War it housed a group of refugees from Belgium.
Ted Harvey (an intimate of the Rowntree family) inherited the house and continued its use by family and friends, particularly by Quaker educational groups. During the Second World War it became for a time a training camp for the women’s section of the Friends Ambulance Unit.
In 1982 a Charitable Trust was established to continue to manage Barmoor. The Managers are drawn from members of the family (now in the third and fourth generations from the “founders”) and from Quakers from the Kirkbymoorside and York areas.